Buying Used Equipment on the Internet

Hello all, 

Had a question for the more experienced hi-fi enthusiasts here. I'm new to this hobby and currently still trying out new gear to see what I like. I was looking into trying out the Parasound Halo Hint 6 amplifier and found a used one through AudioMart. 

My question is: what advice would people have for buying used equipment online? The pricing is attractive but there's also no option for returns once the transaction goes through. What's to stop someone from offloading a lemon on to an unsuspecting buyer?

Thanks!

aamiransari

You sound like the kind of guy who shouldn’t buy used equipment.  Look to see if the person has good feedback before jumping to any conclusions.  At the end of the day, buying used is always a gamble.  Half of my audio equipment was purchased used and I have never had any problems. 

Thanks for taking the time out to respond. 

"You sound like the kind of guy who shouldn’t buy used equipment."

I'm curious, what makes you say that?

You might consider a site like The Music Room for a first used purchase.  It will likely be a little more expensive, but a much more controlled environment for your first purchase.  I've sold quite a bit of gear with them and always have a good experience.

I wouldn’t consider myself an experienced HiFi enthusiast, but I usually pass when I see sellers request PayPal Friends and Family only. When you do this as a buyer, you’re losing out on all of the purchaser protections that PayPal provides - I feel like you’re really gambling at that point; regardless of the how many positive transactions the seller has had.

On the topic of gambling, from least risky to most risky: The Music Room, Audiogon, US AudioMart, Ebay - but again, not the most experienced on this site.