Buy a pair of ten year old $40,000 speakers for $4,000 or new ones at that price point?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about speakers? I know it can depend on the specific model but in general is a 10 year old speaker system that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sells for $4,000 a better value than a new system that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has speaker and crossover technology evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about amps in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom.
mcmanus
Why do you keep essentially asking the same question in three different threads? A little odd to say the least. 
Anything that was 40 grand and has the possibility of being 4 grand today is a scam either then, or now. .
When buying older speakers, be sure and make sure that the surrounds on the drivers are made of rubberized material and not foam, as foam surrounds break down. Unless of course you are skilled at replacing surrounds on drivers?

Fortunately most modern speaker/driver manufacturers have adopted better, more durable materials.

Cabinet design and materials, crossover design and implementation as well as driver selection are large factors in how a loudspeaker voices.
If the question is purely theoretical, and both are properly priced, then they are both $4,000 speakers and would be equal, no?
If I could get a 10 year old pair of Revel Salon 2s for $2,200, even with some scratches or slightly damaged cabs, I would take it in a heartbeat lol.