Building the Best "Used" Budget System under $3000

I've been reading several threads on all best equipment (most of it out of my price range). I'm convinced, for a music lover with a novice ear, that an affordable quality system can be assembled from "pre-owned" equipment. So, if you were building a COMPLETE system from the ground up for your best friend who was just getting started and only had a maximum of $3000 to spend, what would you recommend. This system is for the HiFi music lover only (no Home Theather) and should includes analog and CD. An expert would also consider the future need to upgrade once the "bug" takes over.
whyt_rabbit

Showing 1 response by jlamb

Rabbit:
I have recently done just what you describe. Over the course of the last year, I researched this site and others.
I set my sights on the basics first (call it phase one):speakers,amp,source. My budget was $3K, split evenly. Then I waited patiently for the items i wanted to appear here on the gon. Took me months, but now I am one happy camper! I did end up spending about $1k more than I budgeted,but it didn't hurt because i bought the pieces over time which allowed me to save between pieces.
One of the difficulties I encountered was the inability to audition the pieces i was interested in. In this regard the forum threads were invaluable. When researching the threads, note the musical tastes of the writers! I reccommend you look to balance the system in quality of components. I prefer monitors for speakers because I beleive you'll get superior imaging,etc. than comparably priced floorstanders. For amps, I'd look to SS integrateds.
My wish list included:
CD Players: Classe,Rega
Int. amps: MF,Plinius,Simaudio
Speakers: Dynaudio,JA,Tyler,B&W
Cables: start small and build
My system:
Jupiter2000
Simuadio I5
Joseph Audio RM7 signaturesw/target stands
Zu Cable Julian and Warmouth