Budget floorstanders under $500 ?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find a pair of budget speakers with decent low-end. My current set-up is Cambridge Audio DVD89> Jolida 102B> Mission M71i. The Missions are small bookshelf speakers with a 5" woofer and spec down to 65hz (I think) buth they're really thin on even the mid-bass. I have a small 11x10 room. I listen to 50s/60s jazz, female vocals and rock. I'm considering a few speakers from Audio Advisor - Energy C-300s, Boston CS226s or Athena LS300s. I'm also considering the Polk M20s or Monitor 50s which are selling very inexpensively on NewEgg.com.

Can anyone provide suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tim
chuke076

Showing 2 responses by sufentanil

I agree with considering a pair of bookshelf speakers (such as PSB Stratus Mini's or NHT Classic 3), but for floorstanders I would consider a Paradigm Studio 60 or PSB Stratus Bronze.

Michael
I just re-read your post, and noticed that you're driving the speakers with a Jolida 102b. That's a 25W amp.

Given that, I would consider Coincident Triumph UHS (monitor speakers). They're available used on the high end of your budget, maybe slightly higher ($600). But they have the sensitivity to handle the music you listen to with the Jolida. An alternative would be some used Klipsch speakers (you can find several models under $500 used).

If you sell the Jolida 102b and either upgrade within the Jolida family (ie, 302b) or switch to a high-value integrated (such as the Onkyo A9555 that's been getting a lot of press), then you'll find your options in speakers considerably wider.

Michael