Bryston 4B3 or Ps Audio M700 monoblock?

I'd like to replace my 20 year old Bryston 4B SST with a new amplifier, solid state or hybrid. I have been considering the 4B3 and the PS Audio BHK 250. Both got great reviews but I am a bit concerned about the midrange withe the 4B3 and I do not like the amount of heat that the BHK 250 is  reported to produce. I am thinking now of the PS Audio M700. These are efficient class D and do not produce much heat. The M700 has also been reviewed favorably. It's a stereophyle class A.
I appreciate any thoughts on this, an din particular if you have experience with these amps.
benjosef1

Showing 1 response by auxinput

I tested out a set of 7b3 monoblocks in my system.  I would say that the Cubed B3 series are not dry like the previous versions.  It's definitely a lot better sound, sweeter sound even.  Very high resolution amp.  However, I think it keeps the similar Bryston sonic signature which can be somewhat thin in the midrange and midbass/bass.  I generally recommend matching Bryston amps to a very warm/full preamp and use lots of pure copper gold-plated wiring.  A Marantz preamp would be great.

If you want to move and are looking for a fuller midrange, the Stellar Gain amps are very nice.  I have heard them and they are definitely more conventional sounding than the thin/fast Brystons.  The did not sound bad to me at all.

I suspect that the Bryston 4b3 will be a higher resolution with more "air", but may lack in midrange body and fullness that the PS Audio M700 amps would provide.  So in the end, it really depends what you want.

The Parasound A21 amps are very nice as well (I have owned A21/JC1s one and actually have an A21 for sale).  They are much fuller and natural sounding than the Bryston or PS Audio M700, but they are soft/rolled-off in the high frequencies.  The PS Audio M700 are probably the most neutral sounding of the three.  The Parasound would be just slightly on the warm side of neutral.  So, again, it depends on what type of sonic signature your looking for.