Brand Longevity

I don't often hear about this. You see brands like McIntosh that has been around for 65 years so when you buy it you probably feel confident that you will receive support for years down the road. Maybe forever. What happens to say Ayre owners if Charles kicks the bucket? I don't want to be a downer but this has to matter. What about my Rogue gear? Should I send Mark a carrot and a workout DVD? What happens if a meteor lands on him? What's the game plan? Can I still get parts? Should we be asking these manufacturers about long term guarantees?

I'm seriously thinking about a big time purchase as in my last integrated until I'm collecting ss in 20 years. Where's my guarantee? Maybe I don't have to worry because hopefully there will be a technician who can handle it.
donjr

Showing 2 responses by zd542

Taters,

What do you mean by boutique brands? Can you give some examples of the brands that you consider Boutique and some that are not?
Taters,

Thanks for the clarification. I agree 100%. You make an excellent point.

Donjr,

Going by your posts, it looks like you didn't like the Ayre 7 integrated. I'm a big Ayre fan myself and know their products well. You should absolutely demo the 5, but I think you will find it to be similar in sound to the 7, but better. Ultimately, I don't think you will choose it. As far as the Mac gear goes, I think you should definitely listen to it. Compared to the Ayre, its not better or worse; just different. Its a bit more forgiving and musical. Another integrated you may like is a BAT 300. I don't think anyone has mentioned it so far. One thing that makes it unique is that you can choose from 3 different preamp options. When it comes to build quality and longevity, I feel that any of these 3 companies are at the very top.