Bose 901

I spent a weekend away listening to these .

What a Moronic review.

http://noaudiophile.com/Bose_901/

ishkabibil
Back in 1982 I listened to 901 Series IV, I believe. Fun speakers! College dorm rooms. Mine were Boston Acoustics A70s. 

The 901s took up very little space, played to loud volumes, and did a nice job rendering detail without fatigue. Bass was tight, not boomy or overblown. AC/DC “Back In Black” was a favorite, from an Empire 2000Z cart. Billy Joel “Glass Houses” was fun. Michael Jackson “Off The Wall” and Thriller at loud volumes sounded pretty amazing!

i wouldn’t mind having a pair today! Great bang for the buck, if you’re careful! I would not reform; I would use butyl rubber surrounds.
I have never owned them and haven't heard them in decades, but I heard them plenty back in the day and they sounded pretty damn good when they were played at volume.
I bought a new pair of Bose 901s back in 1972.  I and many of my friends loved them.  I bought Magnepan MGIIAs about ten years later.  The Maggies became my main speakers, but I kept the 901s.  The 901s did wonderfully as surround sound speakers in my first HT rig.  The 901s are still playing in the basement party room at my son's house.
@millercarbonThe set I listened to were driven by a Yamaha 50 Watt Natural Sound Receiver....Inefficient?