Bookshelf Recommendations

Long time, first time here. Looking to upgrade my current speakers. While I know the best way to judge is by actually LISTENING to a set-up, I've read a lot of positive reviews of the SVS Ultimas. Does anyone here have first hand experience with those or a similar bookshelf at the +/-$1k price point?

My listening space is 12 x 12, with a Carver M1.5t power amp and CJ PV-12 pre. 
128x128carerra4s

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

Totem makes an excellent speaker, I have them in our sunroom powered by a Bluesound Powernode...they rock..

great to have choices....
brother in law has 1ci in a room your size with MoFi Untradeck, Ortofon Bronze, Odyssey Candella tube pre, Odyssey Khatargo SS power, sweet and sublime and the 8” LF goes low but does NOT overpower the room

ebay away !!!!!
@gdnrbob.  there you go making sense again !!! I agree, and good stands will cost way more than the Sound Anchors that the new 1ci use...

Just helped install and tune some One’s with sweet Nakamichi Stasis power.....fun and musical for not much scratch $$$$$$
and so is the VLR which you can back right up against the wall and reach below 50 HZ
and have a nice upgrade path w Vandersteen sub, even the sub 3 with 11 bands of analog EQ....

on my short list in a true bookshelf but stand mounted would be ( not in order ) Used

Ref 3a
Sonus Faber
NEAT
Vandersteen VLR
the KEF LS-50 for sure
any of the venerable LS 3/5a , one of my faves would be the KEF101, IF you read the white paper for the LS-50, you will see the trades they made....

have fun, do more listening than reading IF ya can..

great preamp you have IMO