Bob Dylan - new album just out on Tidal - Rough and Rowdy Ways

Just a heads up. Bob’s new album is out on Tidal today. Just finished my first listen - I am a big fan of Bob Dylan - I consider him the Poet of my generation - at 79 his lyrics tell beautiful stories - IMO. Enjoy the music.

Happy Listening!
tom8999

Showing 4 responses by tom8999

John to - I take your comment as asking me for more detail as to what I hear in Dylan’s new album - so hear goes.

The main musical theme in the album is simplicity. You can still make great music with limited musicians - piano, Hammond B3, acoustic guitar guitar, snare drum.  He focuses on delicate rhythms for the majority of the album. He did I add strings to ‘Murder Most Foul’.

oOn ‘Mother of Muses’ he adds a bass drum to the rear of the soundstage to great effect.

Two of the cuts are what I consider Honky Tonk - ‘Goodbye Jimmy Reed and Crossing The Rubicon’. More guitar and drum kit and cymbals.

The star of the album are the lyrics in all of the songs - like I said in my original post - he is a Poet - his ability to paint a picture in my mind while he sings is a gift he offers to those who want to listen, he makes me think, and he creates a musical web to help me focus on the story he is telling in his lyrics.

enjoy the music 
Gentlemen - and I use this term loosely - thank you for a wonderful walk thru the history of ‘our music’ over the last 60 years! Bob is the only song writer to get the Nobel Prize for literature - quite an exclusive club - as far as I am concerned. At 79 - he can write whatever the hell he wants and he can back it up with whatever music he sees to be correct.

He is a national treasure - thank you all for your input. This is why we all spend so much time and energy into our ‘Systems’.

Enjoy the music - 
Roxy54 - from what I have read Dylan wrote the song ‘Murder Most Foul’ for the Kennedy family as his contribution to their 50 Year Remembrance ceremony of the event (Nov 22, 2013). The song was preformed just for the ceremony and not released to the public as a single until much later (about 7 or 8 months ago). He then saw fit to include it into his latest album we are discussing.

Sorry you do not enjoy reliving history thru music. The song also touches on the other key assassinations of that violent time as well - the death of Martin Luther King  and Bobby Kennedy. It reminds me of the actual impact of ‘Nonviolent Protests’ and how that approach to change America was so effective - as apposed to ANTIFA and their destruction of Seattle and Portland today.

Just my two cents - enjoy the music. 
Snackeyp - I am so glad you found this string and are enjoying Bob - as I have said earlier - he is the poet of my generation! I am a young 66 years old. For me - this is the best Benefit of using Audiogon - we all discuss equipment to the nth degree. The whole point of our hobby is to enjoy the music. Other members comments have lead me to Artists I would never find on my own - or alert me to an ‘old favorite artist ‘ so I can enjoy their ‘evolution ‘ over their career!

God Bless and Enjoy the Music!

Tom 8999