Bluesound Powernode 2i vs Bel Canto C5i

I posted this over in Audio Asylum the other day and didn't get much feedback, so figured I'd try here.  

I currently have a set of Ohm 1000s being driven by a Bel Canto C5i which is rated at 60 watts a channel at 8 ohms. The Ohms are 6 ohm speakers so I'm probably getting closer to 90 watts max as the Bel Canto doubles power into a 4 ohm load. I'm very happy with the performance of this combo. I use a Squeezebox Touch (long discontinued) which feeds digital out into the C5i's built-in DAC.

I'm thinking about simplifying things by switching to a Bluesound Powernode 2i which is also rated at 60 watts a channel (8 ohms) and has a built in streamer and DAC.

Anyone have any experience or comments about the amplifier side of the Powernode?
mlsstl

Showing 1 response by kren0006

I own a Powernode 2 and have auditioned the bel canto c5i.
If I were you I think I’d stick with what you have. To be fair, the bel canto costs double what the Powernode does.
Details: I’ve used Powernode with my low cost NHT and $2k Spendor bookshelves.
Bel canto audition was with Maggie LRS and Rega CD player.
To me the Powernode is a bit unfulfilling in its fullness of presentation. Just my opinion. I’ve not heard the bel canto with my speakers, just the dealer demo.

ill say that the demo also included listening to reg elex r on same lrs speakers and I liked Rega little better than bel canto if just talking about the amplifiers but close.

of course Powernode also has streamer dac built in so not really apples to apples