Blu-Ray and HD DVD

I want to upgrade my dvd player and there are a lot of nice choices out there right now. However, I'm concerned that whatever I buy now will be obsolete in a few months when blu ray (HD DVD?) hits the market. Am I missing something or is now the time to wait instead of plunking down serious cash on a player that isn't HD compatible? Also, am I mistaken in thinking that blu-ray = HD DVD?
tonyp54

Showing 2 responses by q007jb

Not sure how many people here are into gaming cosoles, but E3 (CES for the videogame industry) ended last week. A few things were anounced, such as news about the PS3. For those who did not know already know, all games for it are going to be based on the Blue Ray medium with a video output standard of 1080p. It's also going to play SACD, so the unit might have some effect there as well.

On the other side I remember reading that XBOX360 is going to use HDDVD, but I can't find the article where I read that, so I might be wrong. However, it's standard resolution is HD also, but only 720p I believe. There was an artile TIME that probably clears this up, but I haven't had a chance to read it.

Just adding some fuel to the fire...

-Dan
Tony,

How about I ask for dual HDMI outputs? Well I don't need to because the PS3 already has them. This goes along the lines of it being a living room appliance with potential multi-room capabilities. However, Sony took it a step further. At E3 they were used to display a game via dual projectors that allowed the seemless integration of a realtime in game image across two 1080p screens! Now I just need to spare up $18,000 to pick up those projectors...

-Dan