Bin dug noisy records. Does it diminish your enjoyment?

I have some original pressed (or at least very old) LPs bought used at Half price books, and record stores, and not at Collector prices, as such there is on some a bit of popping and noise, and one or two that were just trash.
So I ask, when you pick up a $5 ish record that plays with some well earned noise but is playable, does that take away from your enjoyment knowing it is and old war horse?
rick458

Showing 1 response by socalml528

For too long I brought home "pristine" looking used LPs only to find them nearly unplayable.  You can't fix visible scratches but you can dramatically improve the performance of used and new LPs with a good cleaning machine.

I tried various cleaning solutions, technics and brushes but nothing gave me the results I was seeking until I bought the Pro-Ject VC-S2.  Various machines can get pricey but I feel the Pro-Ject was worth every penny as it greatly enhanced the listening experience of my entire LP collection.

Even new sound better after a quick cleaning; pops and clicks are almost non existent now.  Do some research, make sure you get vacuum capability and follow the cleaning solution directions carefully, and your problem is solved.

Some might say for the price of a good cleaner you can just get new LPs or two LPs from BetterRecords.com, but some items are no longer available and some new are not pressed very cleanly. I consider it one my most essential audio investments.