Bias on solid state?

My amp has just been serviced - an MF NuVista M3 integrated - and among other things the tech said that he biased the amp. I've heard of biasing tube amps, but this is a solid state amp section with tubes only in the pre. I have heard references to bias on SS A/AB amps, of which this is one.

Can anyone explain what all this means? I'm clueless on it.
grimace

Showing 1 response by joeylawn36111

Bias is a DC Voltage that is placed on the "input element" of the amplifying device. (For Tubes, this is the Grid, for Transistors, it is the Base)

This allows the tube/transistors to amplify an AC signal without destroying the waveform. Basically, without bias, the tube/transistor becomes a diode, and rectifies the signal - you don't want to do that.

Let's say the AC signal is a line-level input of maximum 2V AC. This means that 2V of electricity flowing in both directions. Bias turns the AC into Varying DC, so the tube won't badly distort the signal.

Bottom line: Bias sets the tube/transistor up so it can amplify a signal without chopping it up badly.

On Tubes, there needs to be a way to adjust the bias, as a new set may need slightly different bias for even the same model tubes. Transistor bias is usually fixed.