Bi Wiring Speakers from Luxman L-509X

I'm looking at updating speaker cables and I'm convinced that biwiring with two separate sets will be the best approach over a single set of speaker cables with matching jumpers.  

My 509 has two sets of speaker outputs and I can select for the amplifier to drive both outputs.  So my plan is to run one set of outputs/speaker cables to the woofers and the other outputs/speaker cables to the tweeters.  

My question is will this create any compromises in the performance in any way?  I don't want to end up with improving one aspect at the detriment to another.  

Am I just overthinking it?
pinball101

Showing 7 responses by oldhvymec

So highs @ 8 ohms
lows @ 8 ohms

- to -, and + to + = 4 ohms

bi wired = the same resistance @ 4 ohms, the difference is the size of the conductor doubled (if you used the same size cable).

It might sound different if two different types of conductors were used. EX: OCC copper and PTFE in one set of cables  and OCC copper/silver clad and PTFE in the other set.. There is wiggle room for a sonic change by tinkering with cable compositions.. Terminal end type (copper, silver ect.) bare wire...

Regards
The high pass crossover has high impedance at low frequencies and the low pass crossover has high impedance at high frequencies.
So " - to -, and + to +" basically still = 8 ohms.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
imhififan, Erik is correct you are NOT

Measure a static load at the speaker terminal, not the driver. The amp sees that. The crossover may well have all kind of thing to add resistance to circuit, you still add the combine resistance in THAT circuit..

If you have two separate circuits ( lows and mid/high), no matter in a series or parallel crossover design, the law of 1/2 the total or the combined total still stands.

(If the lows are wired at 8 ohms and the mid/highs are wired at 8 ohms)

No, it's 4 ohms just like I said in parallel.  In series it's 16 ohms. (16 won't work, it is an example) The crossover can't work in series because of the way the signal would be passed from low to mid/high or vice versa. The load would still be 16 ohm load, the speaker wouldn't work correctly..

- to -, + to + (parallel) = 1/2 the combined total

- to + to - to + (series) = add the two together

Split the load between two different amps the amps sees 8 ohms ea.

If the highs are @ 8 ohm and the lows are at 8 ohm.

At least the 2-220 crossovers that I've repaired or built.. Maybe you got a different DMM LOL, people still amaze me..

Regards
OP your math is correct..

IF you have dual binding post at the speaker, bi wiring is a second pair of cables from the same common output post on your power amp..

If you have a single set of binding post at the speaker, your doubling the run, but not bi wiring. Does it make a difference, ONLY if the single  run cannot carry the load correctly.. Double the run or go to a larger size construct..

I've ran two different types of cables to the same binding post. Silver ribbon and OCC copper weave.. Nice combo.. Different story..:-)

Regards
I understand what Erik is talking about, that is impedance curves at the driver, it has nothing to do with load to the amplifier. The article is talking about how to CORRECT with a crossover design.

Proper XO point and knowing the driver by doing your own measurement with software/hardware.

https://www.parts-express.com/OmniMic-V2-and-DATS-V3-Dayton-Audio-Speaker-Measurement-Bundle-390-809.

I use this one and a few freebies, along with an active XO to actually test my XO, STUFF.

The static load doesn’t change (within a limit) of the frequency they respond to.. Ex: @ 8 ohms

Think of it like this. You have 6 drivers in a line vertical, you remove one, and put a resistor that matches the static reading of the driver in its place.

Will the resistance change at the speaker binding post? NO the curve will though, but the amp won’t know it.. it just sees a requirement and meets it.. As that driver is used throughout it’s notched out range phase angles can SWAP but the resistance remain the same..

Acoustic vs electrical, it's not the same thing. People mix them up.. I'm talkin before it leaves the box not after, there is a difference..

There is a lower limit there is an upper limit, but the actual resistance stays within that notch. IF the XO and drivers are wired and crossed correctly and care is taken to keep the load close to the static load, you’ve built a good crossover..

I’ve seen and fixed plenty that DIP to less than one ohm..

Kappa 8 or 9.0. Pure amp killers.. Not when I’m done.. 10 degree drop in amp temperature, too.

Regards
Then answer me this what happen if the two frequencies are hit at the same time, What does the amplifier see then? It seems the sim is showing the the two different frequencies but not at the same time.

I'm sure there are a lot of fancy terms, I've left out, leaving out or just don't know, but a speaker crossover? I suppose they are complicated, but they sure don't have to be, by design or by explanation.

I'm seeing what happens in the sims I'm just not understanding in the music world how this equates.  Aren't different instruments being played at the same time? 

I also see super high ohms in certain regions, Wouldn't the amp see just that and be down XX db without a notch to bring the impedance down and volume UP. These are about as simple as can be to me, but it sure is being made complicated. I understand the port (s?) or two XO points, I use passive radiators, to change the Q. By design a lot of the XO in the sim is really limited.

But that simple XO in a real speaker isn't gonna look like that is it?

I don't run simulators, I don't build XO from scratch. I use a Quasi second order filter for everything above 300hz.

In my XO building I use the same basic drivers and have for 35 years.

Erik while your simulating, I'm replicating. I use to turn out a mid/high pass in 30 minutes.. Before the night was out I'd usually have 2 or 3 filters built and make my choice after a couple of swaps and listening sessions.. Add a LPad or two or three.

It's been 10 + year sense that time.. Maybe simulators are better, I don't know.. By the time I fiddled with the software, 3 days have passed.. I could have made 10 XO by then..  A DCX 2496 is just to easy to actually run the crossover I like and build from there. With over 100 different types, I still stick with ONE certain type. Software/hardware sets.. I find it a pain in the A$$ LOL

I enjoyed the read, but my notes are scribbled in a binder 50 years old now.. AND in left handed code..:-) I'm pretty analog lets say.. Only so much band width to play with.. :-)

Think Forest Gump... a good solid 80 IQ, I'm thick but my hand were quick..
So one hump is the driver one is the port and on the right that's the XO right? 

Not 2 ports on the left, Driver and port?

Thanks E

Regards