better the mc2500 for 2500.00 used

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a possible new amp. I just acquired a pair of Dahlquist dq-10's and I am using a McIntosh MC2500. Can I get better performance from an amp that will mate well with these speakers for 2000-2500. 00, tubes would be nice. I was also considering changing my preamp from a Cary slp-98 to a Mac preamp ( c-22, c-220, c-2200 ) for a better possible synergistic match.

I am not sure how much these speakers can be driven, I blew the fuses already, but they were 2a, not 3a. I have replaced with 3a fuses and have had no further issues, even though I have had the meters on the mac pegged at about 300-350 watts already.

Is there a "safer" amp for me? I didn't find the volume super, super loud at this level, maybe they were old fuses?

Any thoughts or suggestions.
hanaleimike

Showing 1 response by plato

I don't think the Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers are known for playing particularly "LOUD," but the Wyred 4 Sound STI-1000 would give you more power, better sound, and you could replace both your amp and preamp. It's new list price is $2499.

If it were me, I'd consider looking for more efficient speakers that could play at louder levels. 350 watts is generally considered "high-power" already... and higher power than was typically available when the DQ-10s were designed. Meaning that you could start popping (burning out) the drivers with more than 350 Wpc.