Best value Set amp for under $1500 used is ok.

Looking to power some large horn speakers and replace my SS Audio Research upgraded LS10 power amp because it needs service and I am not ready to service this unit for a variety of reasons not worth discussing here.

Specs for the Viking Acoustics L’Instrument speakers

are:

Sensitivity: 98 db

Time Alignment: Drivers time-aligned mechanically and electrically.

Bandwidth: 18Hz - 19,000 (18Hz - 50kHz with optional super tweeter)

I have tried 845/805/KT88/120 in non set builds. I’d like to try a 300B or similar set  design for these without burning the budget. I’m based in Australia and prefer to use 240V capable amps.

128x128johnread57

Indeed @charles1dad  the price was the key feature along with many reviews. I have a Krell DUO XD300 in the process of sale that will fund this purchase. Then I may also fund the repair to another D240 MK II that was destroyed by FedEx who would not accept a claim against them. 
Hopefully this small purchase results in acceptance by my wife as we were listening to Stockfisch SACD simply on YouTube last night and marveling at the sound just through our cheap Marantz 1509 AVR. Super surprising. Demonstrating what great speakers bring to a Hi-Fi system. Appreciate your interest here too.

@johnread57

If someone expresses an interest in SET amplifiers I’ll encourage the pursuit. I have very happily owned 300b SET amplifiers for over 13 years. My appreciation and admiration for them has only grown.

If the SET amplifier is good quality and speaker choice is compatible, fabulous sound quality can be expected. It sure seems that you have very suitable speakers. If the amplifier holds up its end of the bargain, you will be very pleased.

Charles

I'll chime in very briefly, as Charles and I both run Coincident speakers.  Charles- a local dealer friend lent me a very nice all piano black lacquer amp from Melody.  It's a 2A3 integrated (uses 4 2A3's for output, and there is also a 101d DHT tube in the circuit as well!).  It's super heavy with some very beefy transformers.  This thing was so quiet as well.  Shockingly good (even on the big PRE's Charles), and for ~ $1,500 used- I am contemplating for the third (8' x 10') bedroom system...

@sutts 

Now that seems a very good amplifier at a fabulous price. I’d strongly encourage you to go for it,

Charles

There seems to be a number of upgrades available for this amp by Skunkie Design Electronics. 🦨  I may just upgrade the 6sn7 tubes with the lower grade Linlai tubes in the near future after arrival.