Best used turntable/arm combo for under $7,500.00

Hi fellow Audiogoners - I am looking for recommendations for a used, reliable, world-class turntable/tonearm combo that doesn't break the bank that I can easily get parts for and repair and/or maintain that doesn't need constant tweeking or a lot of fuss. I look forward to your timely relies. Thank you.
rmarcus5757

Showing 2 responses by pani

All the criteria you have mentioned buying a good expensive turntable is about functionality, reliability, cost etc...what about sonics ? Anyway a forum like this is highly handicapped to answer big blanket questions like these, on top you dont mention your sonic preferences, in such a situation the only thing you are going to hear is people recommending the TTs that they own or have owned. That would mean every post suggesting a different TT.
My own Amazon Model One has a very quiet backdrop and images superbly, although, having recently heard a Lenco variant - I think it doesn't time brilliantly. I personally regret not buying the DPS about 9 years ago when it came out first (I felt that I needed a few more reviewer approvals rather stupidly instead of trusting my ears) the DPS 2 has superb drive and boogie factor and was a rather superb deck for imaging as well. I personally found that the Platine Verier was a tad warm for me.
People tend to appreciate different things in sound, and that tends to change over time. At first I was crazy about imaging, now I am more turned on by timing.

Lohanimal, interesting that I am on almost a similar boat as you. In the last one year or so, timing of the music has taken up very high priority in my listening. Rather I would say I discovered its importance in the last one year or so. That happened after I heard Naim CDPs and amplifiers and Avid turntables (especially Acutus). Recently I also heard a LP12 with a Naim ARO tonearm and Helikon cartridge and it was again an outstanding performance in terms of speed and timing. Have you heard the Avids and LP12 ? Even a Rega P9 is very good in these aspects.

BTW, I use a Verdier :). But I have made sure I use fast lively tonearms, cartridges and phonostage to go with it and also use a similar rack under it (Hutter). The Verdier times in a different way than the typical British TTs. It doesnt sound blazing fast (like a Rega P9), it is not in any hurry or nervous. It is like a highly skilled sportsman who does everything in a way to make it seem effortless. But then it is an ideal belt drive sound, which will hold its own but still may not beat the Idlers and DDs in areas where they excel. BTW, I have been eyeing a EMT Idler or DD as a second TT to enjoy that sound as well.