Best used dac under $2000

I am new to the world of dac's. so forgive me if I sound foolish.
It would need to have an optical digital out to pass the digital signal through to a room correction unit associated with the speakers. If sound is of question, I favor a less analytical sound and more liquid and detailed.

Thank you in advance

jrud

Showing 5 responses by zaikesman

The tweaks I've made to this basic front end are, in chrono order: Added a Monarchy DIP 24/96 in between; fed everything balanced AC (from the Power Wedge Ultra that replaced the older, non-balanced PW I had been using); switched from taking the DIP output into the DAC on S/PDIF RCA to using AES/EBU XLR; switched analog output to preamp from single-ended to balanced XLR when I got new balanced preamp (and this was compared both ways using this new preamp); replaced all digital PC's with aftermarket upgrades. (I've been pretty casual so far about supports, just trying a couple different kinds of soft footers without really scrutinizing the results.) All the upgrades were extensively auditioned individually at the times I added each of them, and the experiment with the other DAC also ocassioned a lot of comparitive auditioning. I can't really say that any one of them stood out as being much more influential than the others, although some of them were more clear-cut as unqualified improvements (the balanced AC, the XLR IC's and digital IC), while the rest were easily heard to be different, but took more time to reveal themselves as definite improvements (the DIP, the PC's). Actually, I should modify that last statement: It was clear that they improved certain things right from the start, but they also (unlike the balanced connections or power) changed the 'color' of the sonics in different ways (especially the PC's), so there were aspects to those upgrades that demanded subjective preferences to be determined. I'm sure all the tweaks are probably additive, but I haven't had the heart to ever go back and pull them *all* out at once to see exactly where I came from vs. where I am now.

As far as the magnitude of the improvement wrought by PC replacements on the digital separates goes, that might well have seemed more revolutionary had they not been the last items in the upgrade sequence - but with balanced, conditioned power already in the mix, in addition to an anti-jitter box and balanced IC's all around, there probably wasn't as much susceptability to the kinds of problems introduced through stock cords as could have been the case otherwise. So the PC's do make a difference, no doubt, but as I say, it's one that brings with it a demand for some judgements to be made, because although all the ones I've tried so far do benefit the sound to various degrees vs. the OEM cords, they also display distinct personalities, ones which can be more- or less-complementary depending on which piece of gear in the chain they are used with. The auditioning can get pretty tiring in that regard, since the total effect changes when all three PC's (trans, jitterbox, DAC) are introduced together, after optimizing each choice in isolation. It's still an improvement no matter how you slice it though, and none of the cords I have on hand is over $150 used.
To those among us who think that 'we' should boycott 'France' (really all French companies lumped together) for something the French president said (or even his administration's policies) - all I can say is, if I had to agree with everything Mr. Bush said or all of his policies in order for me to buy American, I couldn't go shopping very much anymore.

There was another thread several days ago devoted entirely to this proposition of advocating a French boycott. This is not only ridiculously simplistic, it's arrogant beyond belief. Whatever one's opinion of the prospect of the US attacking Iraq, I do not understand people who seem to have this notion that every one of our allies is obligated to affirm the US administration's position. They are as free to disagree with administration policy as I am, and those Americans who, like the president, apparently revel in stating that this freedom merely reinforces the morality of their plans for war aren't truly democratic in their sentiments (but we already knew that Mr. Bush wasn't that!).

French audio companies have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to deserve economic punishment, and trying to create a linkage between French exports and French/US policy disagreements is neither fair nor could it be expected to alter the French administration's position (nor indeed the minds of the French public, and rightly so). By that kind of ignorant, emotional reasoning, French and German citizens ought to be boycotting American audio gear right now due to Mr. Rumsfeld's more crass remarks about their countries.

For those of you advocating this boycott, I want to ask: When was the last time you checked out an Audiogon member's politics before agreeing to do a transaction with them? I'll tell you this - anyone taking the position that everyone else must agree with them or suffer the consequences needn't bother responding to me when I answer your ad...
I'm happy to take you at your word Mdomnick, but rereading your first two posts on the subject fails to reveal any discernable humorous intent. As for Mr. Chirac's supposed faux pas, I guess you are under the delusion that George Bush *is* extending the courtesy of a choice to the rest of the world??...

Regardless, I'm sure the French audio companies will be missing all those purchases of French audio gear you would have normally been making in the meantime... ;^)

(...and I for one won't exactly be making up for you either... :-)
Interesting conversation...although I don't invest much in pursuing SOA digital, since my collection is mostly vinyl, last year I decided that I should check out something newer than my trusty Theta DSPro Basic IIIa (fed from a Pearl transport), and picked up an MSB Gold Link with the P1000 Power Base. On paper, it looked like a step up - 24/96 (or 24/132) upsampling, newer design, separate power supply, hotter company for DAC's (Theta seem to have dropped out of anything not HT-related on this front for the time being), top-model version of a widely well-reviewed piece.

In actuality, my old Theta, using just standard old oversampling and their proprietary digital filtering, won out over the MSB, whether upsampling was engaged or not. (I wrote a long thread related to this audition entitled "Upsampling put to the Test" - click on my Threads to read). So I sold the MSB and upgraded my digital IC instead. Lately, I've been able to start using the balanced XLR analog outputs, and have upgraded the PC's too, and with the sound I'm getting, I'm not really curious for now about 'improved' digital gear. The DAC is around 7 years old or so, and goes for well under $1K used, so one might think it wouldn't be competitive anymore to judge by the prevailing trends, but I wonder...Just an anecdote...
Pmavridis - Thanks, I'll assume you must be refering to my first post. I think things are worse in this regard now than when I made it. All the bellicose rhetoric makes me wonder:

If France (or any other ally) wanted to go attack a third country for whatever reason, and the USA declined to support their action, would the current reasoning dictate that they should then boycott American exports in retaliation?

I am sardonically amused that most Americans who advocate an anti-French stance for them not automatically going along with what our administration says, also tend to be the same Americans who are against the UN generally (not to mention the Kyoto treaty and the International War Crimes Tribunal), for exactly the reason that they fear we would somehow lose our independent policy and legal autonomy to foreign pressures.