Best tube preamp for Quicksilver V4 tube mono's (newest KT150 version)

Just purchased a pair of Quicksilver V4 mono tube amps, the newest KT150 version.  Will be arriving this coming Wednesday.

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/v4/

Single ended
Input impedance is 100 K ohms
Input sensitivity is 1.5 volts

Now need to purchase a nice preamp.  Would like to get the most 'bang for buck' by getting a very nice condition used pre-amp.

On my radar so far is:

EAR 868
Audible Illusions M3b or L3a
Herron VTSP-360

I have had 2 different AI M3a pre-amps in the past, so I am very familiar with Audible Illusions 'sound'... not sure what is the differences between the AI M3b and AI L3a, besides the M3b having  phono stage options and the L3a remote controlled volume?

No experience with Herron or EAR, but from what I have read EAR, if compatible, may be the best performing?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Also would like to hear from other V4 owners.

Rick
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 4 responses by fjn04

Get out..Audio Connection without Johnny R is like the Starship Enterprise without Captain Kirk. Cheers Johnny -Don
I have the VR, Vosne Romane. Funny on the timing here because I'm considering getting another QS...but either Sixty watt mono or Mono 120. This is to drive second speaker I recently purchased...Harbeth C7 w/ Ton Trager stands.Have not tried Shindo w/ Quicksilver but I have no reason to think it won't be wonderful. Great amp you just bought. 
Excellent point. This is indeed a concern. I have heard the Monbrison and Aurieges are even tougher to match, having no transformer in the output stage. The Massetto and up the line do have one. I believe the VR and above have a smaller stepped VC, allowing for more incremental choices from low to high. My plan is to demo the Quicksilver prior to buying. Hard to wrong with CJ...I really liked the Premier 16 and Art, in that late 90's vintage. I may be off on vintage, if not early 2000's. If you're all digital, perhaps CJ. The Shindo gives you a nice phono section though. 
I had the balanced and unbalanced V4's. I really enjoyed these amps, though I have never heard the KT 150.  I tried an EAR 912, and I can tell you from a sound and synergy perspective, it was a good match. I believe I had the balanced version of the V4's at the time. If I had these amps again, the preamp I would want to try would be Shindo.