Best system to be done for $4500-5000.

I have been lurking here for a while but am finally about to move into a new house and want a new system. I have searched the archives and current posts and the following is where I am stuck. The room in question is 20 x 15.5, with a 10-foot high ceiling. I want to build a very nice sounding 2-channel system that is 5.1 capable and phono capable. In other words, I am going to spend the money now on 2-channel for digital music, but want to be able to just buy center, effects, sub, and turntable at a later time when I save up money again. I will most likely use the system 80% music/20% HT.
I have gone to the few hi-fi shops in my area and auditioned what is available here, but I think my money could be more wisely spent on used gear on Audiogon. I did enjoy an Arcam system driving Linn speakers, and also a pair of B&W 703s driven by a Denon (these are with my virgin, untrained ears). However, without being able to audition a lot of pieces in my area, I need advice to achieve the synergy that is needed to help me get to audio nirvana. The music I enjoy are live recordings made off soundboards and mics at concerts, Jazz, Rock, and Classical. I will be incorporating a Tascam DA-20 mkII DAT deck for my live recordings and possibly a Denon 3803 for future HT (I am not opposed to selling this if in my best interest.)
From the reading and research I have done with the little auditioning I have done, pieces that I am interested in are as follows:

1.Integrated amp and Receiver (both - what else should I consider?)
a.Integrated amp – Musical Fidelity A3.2 (Aux 2 provides direct amp input for HT bypass) and also has phono - used ~$1100.00
b. Receiver ( for future HT use ) - Denon 3803 great for movies and will be bypassed for 2-channel stereo with MF – I currently own.
2. CD Player ( one of these )
a. Jolida JD-100A used ~$750.00 (may modify)
b. Music Hall CD-25 used ~$375.00 (may modify)
c. Rega Planet original/2000/Jupiter. Used~ $325/575/1350
3. Speakers (one pair of these)
a. B&W 703
b. Von Schweikert Audio vr2 used~$1750
c. Linn Ninka
d. Revel Performa F-30 used ~ $2200.00
e. Magnepan MG-1.5qr/1.6qr used ~ $600/1100
f. GMA Europas ~ $880
g. Vandersteen 2ce/3/3a – used ~ $1100/1500/2200

Any money left over will be used for cables, interconnects, line conditioner, and other things I have read but know nothing about. I appreciate any and all comments, and am open to any suggestions. I guess I just want to get a feel if I am on the right track, or should I consider a different way to get great sounding 2-channel with HT upgradability.
Thanks - tig
128x128tig

Showing 1 response by tombowlus

If you like the sound of Arcam (I do, too), check out their integrateds. Several models, including the FMJ A22 that I bought for my office system, come in a 2-channel flavor, but allow you to add a multi-channel module (DAVE)at a later point in time (you will need to add a 3-channel amp at this time, too). This allows you to have all of your funds now apply to great 2-channel sound, and still preserve the multi-channel option later. The FMJ A22 is really a very nice unit, with 100 wpc into 8 ohm and peak current of >20A.

I also agree that you should avoid the receiver route. You can add a separate tuner, if you like. I have the Arcam FMJ T21, though Jolida makes a nice one as well. As for a CD player, if you go Arcam, I'd recommend the FMJ CD23T, which sells for about $1,200 used, and is a steal at that price. New, the Rotel 1072 seems to be making waves, though an Underwood modified Jolida would seem like a nice option as well. As for speakers, you really need to listen to as many as you can (ideally, with the rest of the gear that you will be picking up). In your price range, though, I personally like Thiel, ProAc, and Totem.

Good luck!