Best Standard Def DVD Player under $8,000 used?

I am looking for the best possible Standard Def DVD player
that is BLACK. I have a Krell DVD Showcase now and it's
great but I am wondering if there is better to be had for
under $8,000 used.

I would like to hear opinions/comparisons of the video
quality for:

Krell DVD Standard
Linn Unidisk 1.1
Meridian G98
Denon 5910CI

Thanks
Tom
tom92602

Showing 2 responses by classicjazz

To the original question:

I have the Denon 5910 and find the video output of my Levinson 51 to be superior. The Levinson may have been the finest DVD player ever made. It is about $8K used (it is also a fabulou CD player). The color quality of the Levinson is superior to the Denon.
I responded earlier and wanted to add. I have the Pioneer 09FD blu-ray and the Oppo BD-83, the former hooked up to a JVC RS20 projector and the latter to a Kuro 9th Gen. 720p 50" plasma. I also have an Esoteric UX1 and a Denon 5910 and owned what I regard as the finest DVD player ever made, the 18k Levinson No. 51. The Levinson was significantly superior to the Denon. The Pioneer with Bluray was superior to the Levinson, which is why I sold the Levinson. The Pioneer with DVD seemed also to be a bit better (more vivid) than the Levinson. I no longer use the BD or DVD player to decode the music as I now take the PCM feed into a DAC.

However, I did try the analog output; the Levinson was naturally the best of the lot and by far; you could also hook it up to an amp directly. In that scenario, it was very good, not as good as the Wadia 921/931 stack but clear, neutral and with excellent detail and soundstaging. Among the best CD players out there, too. There is one for sale here on this site for around 10k.

I have not had Krell gear since the FPB and K Audio Video Standard (got it for a pretty penny when it came out - ouch). If Krell gear remains true to its sonic hallmark, it likely has amazing bass, sharp attack and perhaps a bit closed in or opaque rather than starkly neutral.

Since the new Denon A1-UDCI is now shipping, it may be worthwhile to investigate this unit. It has balanced audio out and the same famous Realta HQV chipset for DVDs plus Blu-ray so ideally you could get the best of all worlds. Plus it comes in black.

I like the Oppo BD83 hooked up to my TV and receiver in the family room setup because the image quality is fine and it is FAST.