Best speakers in the 3000 -5000 range

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers and would any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. My current setup is Hegel h-100 amp,Hegel cdp2a cd player with transparent audio super mm2 cables and b&b n804 speakers.

Thanks
will11201

Showing 1 response by p59teitel

When I was auditioning speakers last month I checked out two Legacy Audio speakers. The first, the Focus SE, sounded great in the sweet spot and had superb bass, but did not disperse the high end well (not really a fan of the Mid-Tweeter-Mid or d'Appolito configuration or whatever you want to call it, at least not with ribbon tweeters). One of my basic requirements was for a speaker that dispersed well and could present a good soundstage in a large area, so they weren't for me. But if you're someone who parks himself in an easy chair and doesn't move around much, you might be able to find an older model used for less than $5K.

But the next model down, the Legacy Audio Classic HD, I found very impressive in its price range ($4450 to $4850 new depending on finish). It wasn't anywhere near big enough for the challenges presented by my problematic 28X16 sunroom with 15' ceiling - I ended up with Revel Salon 2s - but I thought it would be great in a smaller, less demanding space. They had very respectable bass, dispersed the treble much better than their big brother, and had a fairly coherent sound for a mid-priced speaker with a ribbon tweeter.

Another speaker you might want to check out is the Revel Performa F-52. It lists for $7k new, but should fall within your price range if used or demo. Has a nice, balanced sound. Not the most efficient speaker out there but your amp should drive them reasonably well in a room less than say 2,000 cubic feet.