Best sounding turntable and cartridge for $1100

I have seen a lot of turntable and cartridges packages in  $1000- $1100, such as the Project RPM3 with the Sumiko BP-2 MC.   Project Xperience 1 with a Sumiko Pearl MM;  Rega Planar 3 with a Elys II cartridge. 

I have formerly owned a Rega 3-24 with Elys II  and a Project Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red (which I did not like at all) . Would like to try something different, but can live with the above brands depending on their overall performance 

Need recommendations for turntable/cartridge new or used combo that punches far above its price of  $1100.  Thank you

sunnyjim

Showing 3 responses by dodgealum

I ran a VPI Scout for many years with an AT OC9MLII. You can probably find a used Scout for $1K and a used AT OC9 for $200. I thought the combination was awesome for the money.
Just saw this sorry....As far as I know you cannot replace the stylus on the AT OC9MLII though I'm sure you could get a retip from Soundsmith. The OC9 can usually be found here for about $250 and I see VPI Scouts all the time so you should not have trouble putting this combo together used fairly easily and for around $1200 bucks.
Just saw an OC9MLII come on this site. The asking is almost $400 which to me is way to high. I had one in beautiful shape that I sold for $200 here several months ago and was happy with what I got.