Best SACD Player in the $2000 Range

My set up is Quad electrostatics, with Thor Linestage,
Thor 150 watt monoblocks, Stibbert By Blue Note Cd player and a Cary 306/200 with a Thor Dac. Listen to a lot of classical and want to hear the difference between SACD and redbook. What SACD player would anyone on the site that has one in his system recommend at or close to my price range? Any help appreciated.
kjl

Showing 1 response by rgs92

The Sony 5400ES is great. Here's my short-take.
It doesn't have the palpability or texture or detail-retrieval of the my EMM CDSD-SE/DCC2-SE, and the bass is a bit warmish and smoothed-over (but very pleasant and well integrated), but it really walks that fine line between too-much-info and glazed-over perfectly, and I just listen and don't feel that I'm missing anything important, or that I'm being punched around by some hyped-up part of the sound spectrum. Percussion is just right, with nice boundaries but fine decay and just the right degree of softening that keeps it from digital abuse. I can really just listen deep into its sound and want to keep listening. It is a significantly more refined and enjoyable sound than my former low-priced players from the past: Meridian 508.24 (ill-defined bass), Sony CD777ES (boring with grainy vocals), CAL Icon II (little pace, but an old-time favorite as I remember it).