Best "Used" Audiophile speakers for 1000-1500

I just got my federal taxes done and I'm in the "red"; so, I can't spend $4000 for hi-end speaker this year or maybe ever. Need some input on buying a good "used" audiophile speaker for somewhere between $1000-1500.I realize this is a narrow range but I'm sure somebody out there needs the cash and may want to part with a good to mint pair of speakers which retailed for near $3000. Can't wait for better times to come around!! because, I am tired of listening to the cheap pair of mid-fi cans I found in my friend's basement after I sold my B&W's to finance my dream hi-end speakers. All advice appreciated.
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by frogman

My recommendation, based on MY tastes and room considerations would have been to buy a pair of Maggie MGIIIA's (600-700)and use the leftover money to help with the purchase of a pair of VTL 225's or even a Conrad Johnson Premier Four. Those are IMO magical combinations, in the right room. Again, for MY tastes, I have heard few systems that can create the majestic and full scale, dimensional sound that larger Maggies with the right TUBE amps can create; they must be tubes and you must have a fairly large room. I think it's remarkable that one can have that kind of sound for not much over 2000.00 in the used market.

But I think Sean has taken this thread in an interesting direction and I could not agree more; it would be productive to follow up. The issue of why Sunnyjim has not responded and given further information, necessary for intelligent feedback, is perhaps a little premature (it has been after all "only" 24 hours since he posted), but it raises the issue of forum etiquette and I think it would be interesting to discuss it in the context of the original thread subject.

I think a poster has a certain responsibility to follow through with requests for certain pertinent information or even simple acknowledgment of advise or opinions that many folks take time out to share in an attempt to be helpfull and good "club" members. There are many times that it would have been appropriate for the thread poster to simply acknowledge the responses to the original post, and nothing is heard again from that poster.

I think that etiquette has a practical side to it; as in the case of someone setting up a system or wondering if a certain cartridge works in a certain tonearm. If the person soliciting opinions follows up and posts the results of a recommended component or tweak, not only is it courteous to do so, it further helps everyone else who is part of this forum. So, Sunnyjim if you're out there, we want to hear from you.