Best "Upgrades" to Jolida 202a

I've had my Jolida 202a in my main system for about eight months and it goes really well with my Music Hall CD25.5 and Triangle Cometes. Without a doubt, it makes the speakers sing like no other solid state gear did before.

I'm looking for a bit more from this setup though. Dynamics, detail and bass are all good but feel like there's room for improvement. I'm not sure where in the setup a change might have the most positive effect.

I'm looking to make one more decent sized upgrade to the setup. I've rolled tubes quite a bit, discussed mods with Response Audio (decided potential loss of voicing was too risky), and thought about adding a DAC or active pre-amp into the mix.

So here are a few questions for Jolida fans...

- Has anybody had luck modifying their integrated into a power amp?

- What's the effect of adding an active line stage to the mix?

- Is a DAC (like TDAC or TADAC) a better option than a new CDP?

- Anything else I should know?
meskandar

Showing 1 response by detredwings

From what I understand the 202 is much the same as the 502? I've never actually looked at one inside or the schematic. But I have done a lot of mods to my 502 and it really sounds amazing now. You can send me an email and I can provide you with more details and links. Here is a link that Dave Ellis from Ellis Audio wrote on mods that he did. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17354.0 These will make a great deal of difference. At the least change the crappy 05 cent CBB coupling caps. You can try a preamp with the amp now. Just put the volume at about 1/2 and go from your CD to the preamp first and then into your Jolida input of your choice. It will give you a good idea what the preamp will sound like before you start removing things. Mainly the alps volume control. But you would need to add a resistor or two. Try what I mentioned before you go to the trouble. These Jolida amps can really be brought to a higher level if you put a little work into them.

Good luck and happy listening