best pre-amp new or used for under $500?

Hello there, just bought a 2-channel power amp and need pre-amp advice. My budget is low, as the title above states, and the power amp is a Rotel RB-1080. Speakers will be either Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1, Dynaudio Excite X16 or Totem Rainmakers. I have not auditioned these speakers yet, they are on my list because of reputation, look and price. Source is a Yamaha CD changer, will upgrade that after the speakers arrive. Room will be small, 12x12x8. Would prefer to have a couple sets of pre-outs so I can hook up a sub if necessary. A remote is an absolute must, my listening sessions are 90-120 minutes long. Thanks in advance and happy listening.
realremo

Showing 3 responses by gte357s

I would recommend you to stretch your budget to under $800, then you will have alot more choices. I went through similar path, from Adcom ($250) to Rotel ($350) to Audible Illusions ($700), and the AI is a different league. For instance, there is one factory refurbished on sale now for $675 with 6 month manufacturing warranty. To me, it is a good deal. Just $175 over your budget, and it is a greatly praised preamp. And there is a Cary slp-88 for $750.
About where to put money, I would say the speaker and preamp. I tried upgrade my amp, very little difference. I also tried an external DAC, although not a very high end version, also no noticeable difference. But after I upgrade the preamp, I can hear the difference right the way. And of course, the speaker should be the first component to buy in my opinion.
Right now, I am using Sony Blu-ray player, Maverick Audio DAC, Audible Illusions L1 preamp, McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe amp, and B&W CDM9NT speaker.

I had a Rotel CD player before, and then I compare with the cheapy Sony Blu-ray player, can't hear any significant difference. Then I thought the DAC in the Blu-ray player is the weakest link, and I want to go digital to stream music file from my computer, so, I bought Maverick Audio DAC. It is cheap, but reviews are not bad, so just to give a try. I don't think there is much audible improvement comparing to the Blu-ray player. I am not thinking to try out a tube DAC. For the amp, before I upgrade to McCormack, I use Rotel RB-1080. I don't have a chance to do A/B test, but the McCormack is slightly better based on my memory. But again, the improvement is not as big as upgrading the preamp from Rotel to AI.