Best HT starter system?

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I'm a newbie, so please excuse me if i do anything incorrectly here.

I'm trying to begin putting together a Home Theater system. At this point in time I only have about $750 to $800 to invest. I have a sub, and a pair of junk Yamaha bookshelf speakers. From my research so far, I'm thinking that I'd like to spend this $750 to $800 on a HT receiver and an pair of good speakers to use up front. Eventually I can add more, but I thought this would be a good starting point. I plan on using front speakers and receiver for music almost as much, or more, than I use it for Home Theater purposes.

Does anyone have any recommendations? The last time I owned any "quality" audio equipment was 15 years ago, so I know very little about HT receivers, etc. Basically, I'm asking for suggestions for a pair of up fronts, and a receiver for $800 or less, that would be a could system for music initially, and could be built into a good HT system. If it makes a difference, the room this system will be used in is roughly 15x20 with cathedral ceilings.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.
loki485

Showing 1 response by loki485

Thanks for all the help!

As far as the component switching, I have a new Sony Bravia 46' LCD, and do all of my switching there, so it's not an issue. That being said, should I consider an older HT receiver (more bang for the buck)?

Also, I was considering the DM603's for the front and eventually building that into a full system w/ the 601's, etc.
Good idea or not?