Best headphones under $200 used?

Happy New Year!
I'm a newbie to the world of headphones, but looking for a pair to run straight into my EE minimax cdp without any additional headphone amp. I think closed cans is probably what I'm leaning toward (have wife and kids). My regular setup is merlin tsms and tube amplification which I enjoy very much if that helps at all for "cans" recommendations with similar qualities. Thanks for any tips!
lincnabby

Showing 1 response by mapman

I've done a lot of reasearch and comparison on headphones in this price range lately, and have concluded that Klipsch is a good bet for audio buffs interested in good sounding phones at reasonable cost. I have their $80 buds which are quite good. Clean, crisp, with good and palpable bass. Very much in line with the "klipsch" sound in general I would say. I've also heard the Klipsch on-ear model (#?) that goes for ~$120 and those had similar attributes but sounded more like headphones as expected rather than earbuds.

There are many other good phones out there also of course. Most better ones I have heard at similar price points tend to have a more laid back presentation than the Klipsch.