Best Digital source - HE2005

For the last year and a half, I was on the search for the ultimate digital source out there. I auditioned the Burmester 011, the DCS, and Boulder. All sounded really good, and when it comes to that level, it is really a matter of taste. If you haven't had the chance listening to any of these sources, one has to appreciate that all are excellent. However, in this forum, there is a consensus about the Meitner gear. So, before spending so much money, I had to audition it. I did my way to the HE 2005. As a general role auditions in show rooms have so many limitations, however, I think that I’m able to make this point: Meitner, is a very, very good source. Natural and palpable. However, one of my main reasons to attend the show was to hear the MBL gear. And here come the surprise, at least to me. The MBL (top of the line, 40K) sounded as noting I've heard before. Very realistic, musical as if you could touch the players. I will skip all the audiophilic terms, and get to the point: this is The best source I've ever come across, and by a big margin. If you get a chance to listen, do it!
roy_tirosh

Showing 2 responses by avantgarde

The 9007 Mono Reference amps are the newest in the Reference line of MBL amps. We picked up the pair that are at the show late the night before the show began. The power rating on the amps has actually not yet been published, although are expected to be in the 250 to 300 Watt rating into 8 ohms. The 9007's are built with the exact same overall ciruit topology as the the 9008's and 9011's. The 8011 Monos or 8011 Stereo although similiar in power ratings are built to a specific price point and are part of the MBL Noble line, which is one level below the MBL Reference line of products...hope this helps.
Just needed to pipe in as I am co-hosting the MBL/Kubala-Sosna/Rhapsody room (I'm the Rhapsody part)....anyway, the MBL pieces that we have in the room are not the $40K DAC/Transport combination (1611E/1621A) but the 1521A Transport ($8316 list) and the 1511E DAC ($9,460 List). We also have the single box 1531 CD Player ($8,200) in the system and we have been switching back and forth for smooth transitions in between selections. We are hosting the MBL Reference System "open house" at Rhapsody on Friday (now) and Sat. evenings (Everyone is welcome) where we are playing the 1611E/1621A combo along with the 6010D MBL Reference Preamp and the through both the 101E's and the 111E's.....Regards