Best copy of Wish You Were Here

What is the best-sounding vinyl pressing of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here?
woodvale

Showing 2 responses by 42659

I have about 12 pressings of "wish you were hear" including about 8 domestic USA copies, a CBS 1/2 speed, a domestic USA Half speed and a German pressing.

The Japan CBS 1/2 vinyl is dead quite and very clear sounding but is lifeless and lacks the energy and rich tone of the Pink Floyd music. Completely non vibrant. Avoid it if you like listening to music.

The Columbia Domestic 1/2 speed is digital reissue from about 1984 and has a hard non musical edge to it. This copy has alot of detail but with the analog magic and energy gone I want to turn this record off after one minute of play. Say way from this dud.

The German copy sounds good overall but still lacks the power, powerfull bass and energy of the best Domestic copies.

The standard Columbia Domestic copies are all over the place sonically. A few are excellent, most sound fair and a few sound vailed and poor. The bad news is the qualiaty of the 1975 vinly is poor and it is very hard to find a noiseless pressing that sounds Excellent. I finally gave up and bought a Hot Stampler from Tom Port in 2008 that was quiet and sounded Awesome especially on side 2.

Good luck on your search as this is a tough nut to crack.

Johnny
The Tom Port Hot Stampler sounds Rich, full body, vibrant with great clarity and presence. The energy and power are superb although one side clearly sounds better than the other. It is a Columbia USA domestic copy. The funny thing is that in the past I always thought my Japanese Master sound 1/2 speed was the best sounding copy of Pink Floyds masterpiece "Wish You were Hear" but in comparison the better sounding domestic copies make the Japanese 1/2 speed sound lifeless and pale.