Best CDP w/ headphone jack for under $1,000

I just blew out the power supply on my CD player thanks to my wonderous attempts at tweaking. So now I need a new player that meets these qualifications:

1) Must have headphone jack with volume control.
2) Must play CD-R discs.
3) Must sound "musical" and not bright, dry, or shallow.
4) Must cost less than $1,000.

The only 2 players that I know of with a headphone jack are the Jolida JD 100 and Marantz SA 8260. The addition of SACD playback on the Marantz would be nice, but for all of the 2 SACD discs I own, is it worth it considering I heard someone say this player has trouble reading some discs? Since I am a headphone listener, can anyone tell me how each of these players sounds through the headphone jack? Or is there another player I have overlooked that is worth considering?
piano632

Showing 2 responses by listener57

I second the still amazing JVC XL-Z1050 CDP which was their classic, early effort to showcase JVC's new ideas about playing back CD's. They also went on to revolutionize the art of making a better CD.
The Grado headphone line has a knack for sounding special even when plugged directly into the humble headphone jack.
The problem is getting someone to sell this unit since it can be easily upgraded using its digital coaxial output into any of the many fine outboard DAC's out there.
Just don't let on how little you paid for the JVC and no one will ever suspect.
Seeing the Sony XA7ES posts for the first time makes me admit I had forgotten it qualified for your budget when bought used, and is a beautiful sounding unit exuding class and solidity, sort of the Mercedes category among CD players. In this case you pay more and get more.