Best CD player for $700.00

I need to upgrade my old CD player (Mag CDB 650). I am considering the Adcom GCD 700 which lists for $700.00. It sounded very warm and open. What are some other alternatives and how do they stack up to the Adcom. Your help is appreciated
128x128artemus_5

Showing 1 response by hdm

I will totally agree with sdcampbell, and this may really garner the ire of some. I owned my RCA 5223P DVD player (currently available as last years model for $179 online) for 8 months before really comparing it to my Arcam Alpha 8SE CD player (list price $1000). The end result: I sold the Arcam. The RCA was every bit the equal of the Arcam, if not downright better (I posted a complete review at Audio Asylum for those who are interested in associated equipment). I have since further improved the sound from the RCA with a very cheap anti-resonance/vibration tweak and use a Cardas Golden power cord on it through an adapter that Harmonic Tech just came out with. I'm getting outstanding performance out of it (probably pretty close to Alpha 9), and would never again consider buying a CD only player. If I upgraded considerably (it would be considerable to me), I'd probably investigate something like the Pioneer DV-37 or the new Sony 9000 DVD player.