Best Budget system? $500-$750 tops

Partially out of curiousity and partially because I am pondering this myself for a second set-up, can a moderately musical system be set-up for $500-$750???

Components:
CD
Integrated
Speakers

(cabling, stands etc. would be above and beyond)

Here's my submission:

I first heard a pair of Kirksaeter Silverline 60's at a local dealer and was impressed for their size and price, they were also modestly paired with a Pioneer Elite A35r integrated amp and multi-disc CDP (forget model). There retail price is $850, however I've seen them go on here for more like $300. So...

CDP - Pioneer Elite DV-45a $240
Integrated - Pioneer Elite A-35r $165
Speaker - Kirkseater Silverline 60 $300

Total - $705

How musical that system is is questionable, but for the price I beleive it would be musically tolerable. In my case the system would be background and entertaining only, so I think it would perform pretty well in those functions.

So, what's your BUDGET system look like?
jh2os

Showing 1 response by pe3046

I have a both a perreuax 200i reference integrated and a panasonic sa-xr50 that I use with my kirksaeter silverline 220's. While the perreaux has a much larger soundstage and musical presence, the panasonic for $220 with digital in sounds very detailed and can power my 5.1 system in the next room. At low or high levels of sound their is incredible detail and lack of distortion. Depends on what type of system you like-a warm or detailed sound. The panasonic with the kirksaeters, axioms, swans, rockets, or for a different sound some vandersteen model 2's. DVD player look for something like the toshiba 3950 or 3960 that people rave about on the asylum for $50 from amazon. Should easily be able to do that for under $800, I did a fosgate surround system based on the panasonic for $575 total and it outperforms my 9000es sony separates.