Best Amp for Eidolon

I purchased Avalon Eidolon speakers this summer and am getting ready to upgrade my amp. I currently have a Krell KSA 200s with a BAT VK5SE preamp. I am considering the BAT VK-150SE, Rowland Model 12, Accuphase A-50V, Krell 350mc, and the Boulder 1060. Any thoughts? I am especially interested in hearing what other Eidolon owners are using. Mike
weidheimer
I am a Spectral fan and greatly enjoy the combination of Spectral 360 monoblocks with my Eidolons. Regarding the negative comments of some of the A'goners about Spectral/Avalon, I have yet to hear this combination sound its best in a dealer showroom. At home, there is much that can be done with cable and A/C current handling that can optimize the system sound. Spectral has a clean, neutral, fast character which works well with Eidolons and produces excellent PRaT when everything is tuned.
I am using a pair of Atma-Sphere MA-2 Mk2.2 amplifiers with my Eidolons and the combination is superb. The Eidolons' quickness, detail, harmonic integrity and ability to throw a beautiful soundstage is perfectly matched by the Atma-Sphere MA-2s. The strengths of the Atma-Sphere amplifiers complement beautifully the strenghts of the Eidolons.
Currently, I'm using both Rowalnd 8Ti with battery, n the CAT JL1. to drive my Eidolon. I found the both of them are superd for the SPK. Both most important thing is what kind of sounds you r interested. For the vocal, I think the CAt is much better than Rowland, but for the bass of cos the transisotr amp r better than the tube amp. Afterall, it is better to ve 2 kind of sys u want. There is no perfect 1 in this world, choice what u r prefer the most. Good Luck n Happy listening.
The Bat 50SE preamp with bat 150SE amps is one of the best combinations i've ever heard. The Atma-Sphere's are quite nice too with the 50SE preamp (I'll assume it is pretty close sonically to your upgraded 5i). I'd buy the bat's if it were my choice. I find that having tube pre and power really brings on the 'tube magic'.

For my tube based system I use vk-5i (w/nos tubes) and a vt100m2 with kt88's. It's a wonderful combination. Not as transparent or dimensional as a bat se combo, but warmer and more full bodied. You might try a vt100m2 or m3 as an additional alternative.
I had Eidolons (recently sold) and A/B'd extensively the AR Ref 300 MKII amps and 2 Accuphase A 50V's bridged to monoblocks. Both sets of amps are no brainers, easily controlling the Eidolons without a hiccup to astounding levels of performance. I think the choice between these 2 falls into the category of whether you are a tube or ss guy, because regardless of what the plethora of posts on the subject intimate, there is a difference, at least to my ear. Is one better than the other? Moot point to me, they both sounded extraordinary, and the certain merits of one over the other were miniscule IMO and to my ear. It comes down to personal preference. After an extended time with the Accuphase, which was nirvana, I switched back to the AR. It wasn't until then that I realized what had been missing. A greater sense of harmonic texture, air and the sense of instruments presented as 3D in space was apparent, to me, with the AR, and vocals had a more natural sound and ease. Power and bass weren't an issue ever with either. The AR's soundstage was a tad bigger, but the 50's were no slouch. I think both mate perfectly with the Eidolons, and some will prefer ss, as noted above, and some tubes. No argument here, just a preference. If you have the opportunity of auditioning and/or acquiring either of these fine products to mate with your Eidolons, that's an enviable position to be in. You really can't go wrong with either.