best all-round,full range at $2000

Looking for a full range offering at the 2K price point. I'll be playing orchestral, big band jazz, small combo jazz, male & female vocal bits, solo acoustic instrumentals, and classic rock. So, what say ye? What's the best all-rounder at the 2K mark. New, or gently used works for me~
gregcon57

Showing 3 responses by rlwainwright

I am quite biased about this, owning a pair myself. I'd have to say the Gallo Ref 3s are the deal of the decade, even at their retail price (~ $3k). There are several pairs on Audiogon right now for ~ $2k...

-RW-
TVAD wrote: "The Gallo Ref 3 frequency response is 35Hz-50Khz. The owners here no doubt love them, but IMO bass response to 35Hz misses the definition of full-range by at least 5Hz."

If that 5Hz really bugs ya, you have 2 options: Use the Gall SA amp and go flat down to 22Hz or pair them with a subwoofer - which is what I did. Sounds great!!

-RW-
>> Therefore, IMO, the Ref 3 cannot be considered full range loudspeakers, nor can the Ref 3/SA combo be found for $2000, which is what the originator of the thread was seeking. <<

That may be true, but I purchased my Ref 3s for $1700 delivered and my subwoofer for $285 delivered. According to MY math, that adds up to $1985. In addition. he could simply purchase the Refs now and see how they work in his room. Chances are good that he'll find the low end quite satisfactory, EVERY review I've seen says they are the best thing going for anywhere near the price.

And remember, 99% of the music out there has nothing below 40Hz anyway...

-RW-