Best 845 tube out there?

I am running a pair of Cary CAD-211AE monoblocks with the standard no-name Chinese tubes shipped by Cary. Whilst I am happy with the sound, I think I should buy a pair of 845's to keep as backup in case something happens to these tubes.

Because I will need to buy FOUR of them, this rules out any tube that sells for stupid money (e.g. vintage RCA 845 tubes).

The only current production 845's I am aware of are:

- Shuguang 845 "standard"
- Shuguang 845B
- Shuguang 845C
- Shuguang PSVANE 845
- KR Audio 845

I have found reviews of the Shuguang 845B and 845C, but there is virtually no information out there on the new Shuguang "psvane" 845. Has anybody heard this valve, and is it a noticable improvement over the 845B and C? Also, what do people think of the KR?
amfibius

Showing 11 responses by jwm

I just received my Psvane WE845 today. I will compare to the Shuguang Nature Series 845. A friend has original RCA 845 that I will be able to hear as well.
Right out of the box the Psvane WE845 tubes kill the broken in Shuguang Treasure Series 845. The Psvanes are much more natural and organic sounding. The slight glassiness or brightness in the upper mids are gone. There is no negatives to these Psvane tubes right out of the box and they will obviously get better with burn in. I am in heaven. I bought these tubes direct form China.
I don't have the B's, but I do have the Treasure series. This Psvane tube is a brand new design and is based on the original RCA tubes of the 50's. I may be one of the first to get these. All I can say is they are fabulous, especially in the Absolare.
I had a chance now to compare the WE845 Psvane to the original NOS RCA 845 tubes from the early 50's. I like the sound of the RCA tubes very much. The sound of the RCA's are very open and transparent but a little laid back compared to the WE845. The WE845 are a little more upfront and lively in comparison.
Tcscata I'm glad you like the WE845 tubes. They are so clear and quiet its startling. They make your system sound their best. If your system is towards the lean side it won't hide it. The original RCA tubes are much more colored and remind me of the old Marantz tube sound of the 60's, warm and beautiful mids, but slightly rolled in the top and bottom.
Goldeneraguy I heard the Elrog in the Absolare amps at CES 2013 and they sounded fantastic. I heard they are not the most reliable tube and of course very expensive. I have not compared them directly to the WE845, but I bet it would give them a good fight.
Tcscata your review is spot on. I hear the exact things that you do. These are much better than the original RCA tubes.
The WE845 is the best tube I heard in my system. It is clear, organic, warm, fast and dynamic. I hear no negatives with this tube. It is worth every penny considering original RCA's go for 800-1200 a pop. I would not give these up for and old RCA period. This tube will not hide flaws in your components. If bright and foward I would recommend checking your front end. I would love to hear the Elrod, but not in its state right now too unreliable. I wish EML or Takasuki made this tube.
Calloway with the cost of your chalice I'm surprised you wouldn't spring for the Elrog 845 tubes. I have both we845 and Elrog and Elrog blows away the WE's