best 1-source pre-amp w/remote - $700-$2000 used?

Hey all,
Please give me your recommendation on a remote-controlled pre-amp for use in a 2-channel system using only one (cd) input, in the price range of $700-$2000? If there's one you know of that's an outstanding value, and it's a bit out of the budget, please let me know?
I'll be using with 300b monoblocks into Avantgarde Duos.
Obviously Looking for hi-quality performance and the most bang for the buck.
Thanks for your suggestions and happy listening!
myraj

Showing 2 responses by chams_uk

I owned the 3-input passive, ended up selling when I went to an integrated amp. Still regret it a bit....even though I'm not using a power amp !

I've had Counterpoint, Krell, Pass, and (briefly) Audio Research preamps. This was the best for clarity and letting more music through. It had very good, deep, fast, and punchy bass - a rare find in passives. And basically was neutral from top to bottom.

The ONLY negative - and it's nit-picking, believe me - was a very slight dryness added to the lower treble. A slight recession perhaps that gave a slight darkness to that frequency range.

Still, it was better than anything else I had before.

One technology I HAVE been curious to try is transformer-based passive pre's. Bent Audio supposedly has some nicer, less expensive units, one even offering remote control. But I have no experience with it/them, hence the Placette recommendation.

HTH,

Todd - chams_uk