Benz-Micro SLR Gullwing MC

Need a new cartridge and have been researching best options. The SLR Gullwing looks nice but wanted to verify which one to get and if it will fit with my system. I see there is a low and high output and think the SLR is the way to go.

My system is:

Preamp: Adcom GFP-565 (bought around 1995)

Turntable: Pro-ject RM9.2

Is the Benz-Micro SLR Gullwing MC a good choice and is it the right one for my preamp/turntable?

Thanks!
ballisticon

Showing 1 response by vinylmad814

yeah you will regret purchasing any low output MC Cartridge period. Many Mc's have an output rsting of 0.3 mv to 0.8 mv. Having said that, I know for sure that Dynavector and Benz have high output units to compliment their lower output counterparts. As Elizabeth had mentioned earlier on, purchase a cartridge within the means of your system. However, I would suggest something better than the Shure 97XE mm. Clearaudio Virtuso or the Maestro are very nice MM's at around the $700 to $1,100 mark. Dynavector DV 20 X2 Highoutput MC is a highly recommended unit. I believe it has an output rating of 2.8 mv. I own a Benz Micro wood L which also has a High output counterpart. The problem with Benz is supply. From what I understand acquiring Benz products is virtually impossible. Also Ortofon 2M series MM cartridges are available for under $1,000 budget. I own a 2M black for my back up TT and do like the sound overall. A little on the harsh side sonic wise compared to the Benz micro but am quite impressed with the overall performance. Good luck with your search. Keep us posted as to what you have auditioned or researched.