Bellari EQ570 Connected to McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amp

I added a Bellari EQ570 to my McIntosh based system with my MA6600. The only way I can see to connect it is via the pre out and main in on my MA6600. I removed the McIntosh jumpers, and inserted the EQ into the system. It sounds excellent with no distortion I can hear and I am able to tame the midrange forwardness to my liking. This is a 4 band EQ with controls at 60hz, 450hz, 2000hz and 8000hz. I am liking the sound very much.

However, and there usually is a however, if I press the bypass switch on the EQ while the system is powered up (which is the way it should be), I get a very loud pop through the speakers and both power guards light up for a couple of seconds. The same if I put the power on after the integrated is turned on. It doesn’t matter if the volume control is on, or muted. This worrys me. Should I be concerned or just use those 2 switches before I turn on the integrated? Because of this, I am on the fence weather to keep it or not. I wish the integrated had a tape monitor switch, then I could hook it up to the tape loop.

I really like what this EQ does to tame the midrange forwardness on my JBL L100 Classic speakers but the problem above is very bothersome and worrys me as I don’t want to damage the integrated or the speakers. I see that Schiit Audio makes a very similar EQ and the only reason I didn’t buy it is because the bass adjustment control is at 20hz instead of 60hz on the Bellari.  I did send a message to Schiit asking them speciffically.   Should I keep it or send it back? Thoughts???

128x128stereo5

Showing 2 responses by jbhiller

Do you still get the pop if you turn the volume attenuator to 0 or mute the system first? 
I owned a Loki. Nice product. Very quiet. I thought it allows nice adjustment of tone while not getting in the way.  
Back your problem at hand:  I’d return and exchange the unit to my dealer or manufacturer. I’d also try the Loki.