Bel Canto Ref 1000 vs. Spectron Musician III Mk 2

Has anyone compared in their own systems the Bel Canto Ref 1000 Mk II with the Spectron Musician III Mk2? If so, what was your preference and why?

I'm presently using a Cary SLP-05 pre. The speakers are Martin Logan CLX. I have had the Bel Canto in my system previously and thought quite highly of it. No dealers to request a Spectron from to try so interested in forum members view of the latest version.
kiwi_1282001

Showing 2 responses by dob

Hello Macdadtexas,

Your is first post ever that proclaimed Bel Canto to be better then Spectron and particualrly using Maggie. I have no doubt in your observation what so ever - but I want to understand why is it. What Spectron model did you use?

Somebody I know has Maggies 20.1 and comparison of the latest Bel Canto he owned and Spectron forced him quickly sell his BC and buy Spectron.

Simon Thacher, one of Spectron designer has also full range ribbons Audio Analyses and tuned up this amp accordingly...

Hello Kiwi,
I know what practically all Martin Logan Hybrids have very low impedance at the top and one needs tremenous amount of peak power to drive it WELL. CLX of course is pure electrostatic but I doubt if its behaivor at 20 kHz is different - call them ask ask for MINIMUM impedance - or may be its on their web site. They are honest in that regard.

You can try Spectron for 30 days home trial, they have this program and bring Bel Canto from the dealer and compare yourself.

Let best amp win!

Cheers
"Dob, it doesn't sound like you have ever heard either "

I heard both and moreover, I own Spectron. However, my speakers (B&W 802D) are not planar like yours (ribbons) and Kiwi (electrostatics) and I felt its more appropriate to discuss interaction with these speakers as you do not test amplfiier in the vacuum.

Maggie 3.6r's - I know ,at least, iSanchez own these with Spectron but I don't know if he heard Bel Canto. I am sure other do too and may choose to post here.

I sugggested to Kiwi to compare both amps in his own system (any any third amp he wishes as well) and I believe that his choice will be easy one - but its up to him.

Cheers