BDP-95 & XA5400ES: HDMI v analog

In his comparison of the BDP-95 and XA5400ES in the recent Stereophile, Kal Rubinson wrote that the audio of either was excellent for HDMI, but he preferred the BDP-95 for analog. I would have found it interesting had he had compared the HDMI audio from the BDP-95 with its analog audio.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 1 response by kr4

I cannot make the comparison between HDMI output and analog output in any way that it would be meaningfully useful to others since it would depend on the device(s) to which the outputs were connected. For example, I could connect the HDMI output to a Meridian 621/861 or another prepro (with their intrinsic DSP and room correction) and I could connect the analog outputs to these devices or to the Parasound JC2. Any conclusions would be entirely dependent on my choice among those options and not applicable to other situations.

So, with that proviso and with the understanding that I listen to multichannel sources most of the time, I can say that I prefer use the 95 connected via HDMI. If anyone has a 95, he can make the comparison in the context of his system, the only one in which it would be relevant.

Kal