Balanced Line Stage Tube Preamps

A recent balanced tube preamp shopper asked for opinions on Rogue vs ARC, ending up with a strong verdict for the Cary -05. Just wondering where the PrimaLuna EVO 400 might fit in this discussion. Functionality is pretty much identical across the board for all: 2 XLRs, 3 RCAs in, and both out. I don't need Cary's headphone section but do really need a remote. Question is all about the sonics. Fellow tube sound fans say Rogue is too dry and clinical. But what about PL? I wouldn't expect it to match Cary or ARC (or C-J) in an ideal room, but is it more tube-y than Rogue? (I do need 2 XLR and 3 RCA, so less versatile candidates need not apply).

hickamore

@atmasphere Appreciate the helpful clarifications. To date I have had success with XLR cables and avoiding ground loops (using other tube equipment). In any event, information gleaned here helps me quickly narrow my search range.

All reviews I have read of the MP-3 says you DON"T offer silver or remotes! A recent development? The other limitation is lack of RCA inputs, which would require modification or replacement of analog source components. Guess I would also be concerned about the number and variety of tubes used, as reliability and ease of replacement are important factors for part-time dilettantes of my stripe.

@hickamore Andy Tebbe is extremely responsive and easy to talk to, and will answer all your questions.

All reviews I have read of the MP-3 says you DON"T offer silver or remotes! A recent development? The other limitation is lack of RCA inputs,

@hickamore Silver has been available for about 10 years or so. The remote probably about 6-7 years. The preamp is equipped with two RCA inputs (Monitor 1 and Monitor 2) for a total of five inputs.

Post removed