Balanced Audio Technology MK-30 tubes. Alternative to Sovtek 6922

I just picked up a MK-30, that had been checked out at BAT in 2017 with a clean bill of health. Receipt says "clean and clear".

But on my efficient Tekton Moabs, the tube noise is very audible at the listening position. So much so, I can not use this preamp. I am debating on just reselling it, or trying new tubes to see if the noise goes away or at least down. The Sovtek 6922s are now hard to find from any reputable source, what is a good alternative. I don't need the best fanciest NOS tubes, just a good solid performer.

Any suggestions?
128x128brad1138

Showing 5 responses by jond

If you just want to retube fairly inexpensively something like Electro-Harmonix gold pins would work. I would also suggest getting them from a good dealer, I use Upscale Audio and springing for their highest graded lowest noise tubes.
I will say on the subject of Gold Lion 6922's I retubed my preamp with them and found them to be too bright. I love the Gold Lion KT77 but with the 6922's I ended up taking one pair out.  My preamp uses 6 tubes, I rolled in a pair of Matsushita 7dj8's in first position and ran with that and 4 Gold Lions and it was perfect. As always YMMV.
Brad in your vid the crackling stops after about 30 seconds,  is it there when you turn the preamp on and fades away? Or does it keep coming back?
Brad I would say that's a good idea nothing worse than an intractable problem that's tough to track down. Good luck finding a new preamp!