B&W N805 vs Revel M20

Hi, I currently have a set of B&W CDM1 NT (with their matching FS-CDM stands) in a relatively small room. Would like to upgrade to either the N805 or the Revel M20 (both with stands). Which one do you recommend? One advantage that I see for the N805 is that they can be biwired/biamped. The M20 have only one set of terminals.

I am driving the speakers with an Arcam A32 100Wpc integrated amp. Thanks.
gustavog

Showing 3 responses by nrenter

Both speakers need many hours of break-in. Many. If your dealer doesn't have 80 - 120 hours on either of these speakers, look for a dealer who does. I considered both of these speakers the last time I made a speaker purchase, and still when I listen to both of these, I easily chose one over the other.

However, Warrenh said it best - "Trust your ears."
Well...since you're now entertaining other speaker suggestions, and if you're open to a full-range floor standing speaker, I'd look at the Vandersteen 2ce Sigs. They will cost you much less than either the M20s or the N805s (with stands, and in the case of N20, with grills, too), but don't be fooled by the price. They are very impressive speakers.

FWIW...I own (4) B&W Nautilus 805s. I love the sound of them, and will always have a use for them, but my next system will be based around the Vandersteen line. If I couldn't have a second system, I'd add a 2nd REL Strata III to my N805s and be happy for life.

With any of the speakers so far listed in this thread, you really can't make a bad decision. Until I listened to the Vandersteen line, I hadn't found a product that I liked more than my N805s. For my room / placement / system / music, a N805 + REL Strata III is perfect. This combination is easy to work into a room, they look great, and sound amazing.

Note that I said "that I liked more". You'll never really know your options until you get out there and listen. I would have never even though about Vandersteen until I stumbled upon a dealer - I wasn't even looking to audition speakers (I wanted to hear tube amps).

And don't stress over this - this is supposed to be your "relaxing hobby".

I'll throw this back into your court, Gustavog. What do you like about these two speakers? What don't you like? What made you narrow your choice to these 2 models? What types of music do you listen to? What is your listening room like?

Are we having fun yet? Perhaps you could invite us all down (or up or sideways - depending on where we all live) to enjoy the sun and do some listening. I could use a vacation.

Congrats on your purchase.

When you decide you want more low end, pick up a REL Strata III. If you can swing it, pick up 2 of them.