B&W Matrix 801 Series 2 speakers

I happened to buy the B&W 801 S2 speakers locally as I was looking for speakers for 2 ch set up and came across a good deal on these last week. They came with matching Arcici that can be sand-filled but for now I have the speakers on the stands without sand or spikes yet - They are currently set up in a pretty good size living room with 2-store vaulted ceiling.

I have Adcom GTP-502 preamp and Anthem MCA 2 amplifier powering the speakers and 801’s sound good but I have read they can sound great with great components. I’m also aware that a bass alignment filter will help so I’m keeping an eye on eBay to find that.

My question is if the preamp and amp combo I have are good enough for the speakers. I’m budget conscious so don’t want to spend huge amount of money to upgrade equipment for small improvement in sound but willing to wait finding a good used equipment at a reasonable price. I have a chance to get a Sunfire Cinema Grande 5-ch amp that can be bridged to produce 400wpc. Would that provide a noticeable improvement in sound?

cherishzm

Showing 1 response by devomocrow

Hey Cherishzm,
How are you liking your S2s?   I have a pair that I picked up a few years back and have re-built around them.   They replaced some Infinity Kappa 9s,  Adcom GFP565 and GFA555II - ( all given to son).
 Mcintosh C2600, MC302 and MC252 are now used as front end and to bi-amp the beasts.

The speakers came to life with the MC gear with the preamp making most of the difference.  The Adcom GFP was really a limiter.  As you know, these are very critical of source (as is any good speaker) but I find myself listening more now and comparing less.  They need room to breathe and lots of power.  I'm waffling on sound anchor stands upgrade and haven't really given the BAF too much of a look after a lot of research.   Would be interested if you got one and if you like it (BAF).  Cheers. DVMC