B&W HTM1D and Parasound A51?

Does the B&W HTM1D require more power then an A51 can muster effectively? A51 would also be powering 4 surrounds. The other option is a JC1 but is it worth the money if the HTM1D doesn't play music?

If so do you get 2 2 Ch A21's for the 4 surrounds or the A51 5 Ch and not use the 5th channel?
mstang1988

Showing 1 response by nick778

The B&W diamond series speakers lover clean power, a lot of it (closer to the max recommended wattage is better) and bi-wiring at least.

I wouldn't use anything less than 250 watts with it. More would be better as the speaker also dips in impedance to around 3 ohms at certain points during playback which can clip or cause distortion from the amp.

But if most your listening is 2 channel, I would recommend getting the HTM2D which is less demanding and will still match up well with your 802D mains.

I have 803D mains and then sound much, much better with the new Spectron MK2 I bought than the previous Rotel RB-1090 (380 watts/channel) I had. I know the Rotel vs. the Spectron isn't a fair match-up even if the power was the same but these speakers love good clean power.

I would presume the HTM1D is rated for 500 watts like the 802D mains and unless you plan on doing a lot of HT listening and buy an appropriate amp for it, I'd suggest buying the HTM1D (which I have and is rated for 300 watts). It is a terrific center channel.