B&W 805D alternatives

I've got the upgrade bug and want to get a new pair of speakers. I currently have a pair of 805D's with the following: McIntosh MC275, VTL 2.5 preamp, Moon .5 CD player, Concept Turntable with Moon phono stage, all cables and interconnects are Nordost. I have the opportunity to home audition a pair of Sonus-Faber Olympica I.
I would like some suggestions on what would be a good upgrade. I would sell my speakers and put $2000 towards the new pair.
maddog66blue

Showing 1 response by soix

Agree with the others that it's hard to make good recommendations without knowing what you'd like to improve, but I don't blame you for having the itch. IME B&Ws are good sounding speakers, but when compared directly with some other good brands they sound kinda flat and lifeless -- just my opinion and my ears. Also, if I owned B&Ws I just wouldn't power them with tubes (unless you can afford high-powered tube amps), not that they can't sound good with tubes but I've found they appreciate and wake up more with some good solid state power driving them. Again, just my experience.

Two makes I've heard that sounded much better to me and that are more tube friendly are Joseph Audio and Silverline. Their imaging and soundstaging are far superior to what I've heard out of any B&Ws, and if those aspects of sound are important to you they could be well worth checking out. I've read one of the strengths of your amp is its soundstaging ability, so there may be more to be had there. If you're looking to stay with monitors there's a nice pair of JA RM7XLs for sale here, and if you're open to floorstanders there's a pair of Silverline Sonatinas (latest model, albeit one speaker has some scratches) that are both in your price range. Personally I'd take either of those in a heartbeat over the 805Ds, but again that's me.

Hope this helps, and best of luck in getting rid of the bug.