B&W 800D2 - Bi-amping vs Bi-wiring

Hello folks,

I am looking for feedback on bi-amping these amazing speakers. I currently own a CA-2200 amp and it seems 200w per channel may not be adequate to realize full potential of 800D2. So i was thinking of bi-amping two classe ca-2200 for L/R speakers, thus feeding 400w each to Left and Right speakers. Or am i better off buying a pair of CA-M600 for each speaker? I would like to stick with Classe amps only... love the way they sound.

Next question is about bi-wiring. There seems to be bit of confusion (atleast in my head) on the best way to bi-wire speakers. The true shotgun cable is terminated with two split(+ and -)on amp end and 4 splits (2 + and 2 -)on speaker end. I have seen illustrations where bi-wiring is done with 2 identical runs of cables between dual binding posts on amp and speaker ends feeding seperate signal to LF and HF speaker inputs. I have read about the advantages of two single runs but my cable manufacturer doesn't seems to agree with this configuration. He is still recommending shotgun configuration.

I hope to gain some insight before i make an investment in a amp or new cables. I currently own a bi-wire cable in shotgun configuration.
128x128lalitk

Showing 1 response by lewinskih01

I don't have 802D, but 804S. I biwire. Does it make a difference? Probably not.

I drive the speakers with one MC275 and love the sound. I am finishing a couple of class D Hypex monoblocks to drive the woofers. I plan to get rid of the passive crossover between woofers and midrange and apply an active crossover there, keeping the tweeter-to-midrange passive crossover driven by the 275. My understanding is that active multi-amping (as in active crossovers) is the real deal. FWIW my subwoofers run below 80Hz while the MC275 takes it from there and up.