AVA Van Alstine SET 400 amplifier -- burn in?

I am not trying to spark a debate about burn in. I purchased an AVA SET 400 amplifier and will give it a listen for 30 days and decide if it works for me.

If you’ve owned this amp or other solid state amps from AVA and have noticed any changes to the sound over time, can you please describe for me?

I asked Mr. Van Alstine about this and his reply was "No burn in time, it’s running up to speed within a couple of minutes."

What’s your experience? It arrives in less than a week. Thank you.
128x128hilde45

Showing 5 responses by hilde45

Thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing it! I will let it "break in" and give it a bunch of time. I'll post some initial and some later observations, if I can. The manufacturer does not run them as far as I can tell. I asked but he only said what I relayed. Somewhat hard to know what he meant.
@gryphongryph I’ll post them. I have tube stuff and thought, I should try a solid state just as a possible alternative -- for variety, for backup, etc. I researched Sugden, Pass, Belles, and some other Class A stuff, but since I put my system together recently and my speakers require a bit of oomph to drive, I decided on the SET 400. Apparently, it’s made to sound fairly "warm" (I know, vague word), and that it runs in class A for the early watts. And, it’s $2k rather than much more than that. Seemed worth a shot.

My room is just recently (like, yesterday) about as dialed in as I can make it, and so this weekend I’ll listen to my tube stuff with the bigger tubes (KT88’s rather than 77’s) to set that impression in stone (with the room settled) and then I’ll try the SET 400 initially and then run it in a while, and compare. At its price point, it seems hard to beat, but if I don’t like it, I’ll send it back.

FWIW, I've been listening to a relatively new podcast with Duncan (of TMR) and Darren (of P.S. Audio) and one of them made the interesting comment that as their system has improved, some tracks which sounded ok now sound great, where others that sounded great now reveal flaws. They both understand recording and mastering, and since that part of the equation is all over the map, the "dialed in" nature of any system is fluctuating from both the gear and recording side. This seems like something audiophiles know already, but the way they described it helped solidify the ever-heterogenous nature of "the" sound of one's system. That helps me chill out with tracks that tempt me to blame my system too quickly. It also makes a powerful little argument to always have a tweak (a different bit of kit or an equalizer) handy.
@riley804 Your caution is appreciated.

I'm confident enough in my abilities to listen for myself. But one help for me in this hobby has been to hear about what others have heard -- especially if they have heard *any* change at all. Same as when I go to a new city -- I ask friends about what they heard, saw, enjoyed there. It primes me to be alert to things, but it doesn't force me to prejudge things. Anticipation and conditioning are different for me. Sounds like you feel differently. To each his/her/their own.
@corelli Thanks for your experience. I don't know how long it's been out. I cannot find reviews for the amp prior to 2018, so I suspect that "years ago" meant within the last three years. Unless it just didn't get a review for a while after it was released. 

I won't be driving Maggies, but I admit that it's capacity to drive something like Maggies was in the back of my mind. I am driving Salk speakers with it.
@corelli -- thanks for the clarification. This is solid state. I think Van Alstine's marketing technique of using SET for a solid state amp can be confusing.

@mesch  Thanks -- will relay. I've been using both Atoll and Adcom solid state which, as I understand it, are similar but not nearly identical.